Thursday 18 November 2010

Still Dyeing...but in a good way :)

Okay, still struggling with how much fixative to put in but I'm pretty pleased with this.
First I washed some fleece, carded it and seperated it into two 50g baskets, spun up each 50g onto a bobbin and then plied them together. Viola! One bobbin of 100g of plied wool!



Then I put the washed skein into two jars of dye like the first experiment but I put a heaped tablespoon of salt in with the quarter tsp of dye. It seemed to work although the green still doesn't climb into the skein anything like the pink does!



When I checked it after drying though, I noticed that the strands had felted together somehow. Whether that was a reaction to dyeing or handling and washing, I don't know so I put it on my Swift and re-skeined it up again.



Didn't come out bad at all. I actually really like the look of the colour now all the strands are mixed together and at least it shouldn't felt as bad next time it's washed.
All in all, very satisfied :)
I've also played with food colouring but it doesn't fix as well with salt. Pretty insipid :(



I'll have to try it with vinegar because that works REALLY well! I've been overdyeing some ordinary coloured yarn I rescued from a jumper and that's coming along brilliantly! I've already gone through 2 litres of vinegar! A few shots of experiments.




Very promising :)
Happy Knitting!



2 comments:

  1. This looks great, very inspiring!!!
    How do you card your fibre???
    I have a heap of fleece that needs carding ad would love to know how..

    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carding isn't difficult just tedious! I've got a flick brush that is about as wide as my hand and two carding brushes about 15 cms wide. I've not quite figured out how to use them properly but I practice every now and then until I take the skin off my knuckles! Usually I card small sections and that's only after I've picked through the fleece, got out as much veg matter and yuk as I need and then wash. After that I can card and spin. But I usually have to wash the skein again after I've plied the singles together. But it's pertty satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete