Tuesday 7 May 2013

Dyeing (as in making things other colours!) is FUN!!

I am so enjoying playing with these fabric dyes I've got that I thought I'd get creative and dye some bought yarn that I wasn't keen on the colour of. Dyeing in the microwave is much tidier than any other technique I've tried!
90% Wool, 10% Silk
This yarn feels beautiful but I find the beige SOOoo boring! I wanted to liven it up so I used a combination of Cerise (red) and Old Gold (yellow) and I mixed a blend of the two for a rich orange. I am so happy with the result I can't even begin to tell you!

After the dyeing process, just off the niddy-noddy.

All balled up...and so pretty!!


Closer view of the many gradients and variants of colour. Yummy!
This is so much better than the dull beige. Now it really stands out, so warm and lovely, almost flame-like colours! Now I'm racking my brains to think of something knit-worthy to knit in it. Definitely a shawl of some kind, with lace I think. No?
I've really enjoyed dyeing but I think I'll give it a rest for a little while. Second of which, I'm almost out of dye. Might have to get more. We'll see.
Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment