Tuesday 20 September 2011

Now I'm Back Home...


Well, after a lovely nine days with my darling Daughter I can start putting into place some new ideas I had about what I might want to try and sell in my etsy shop, when I finally get myself organised enough to stock it. My little tatted motifs are so sweet I thought it would be nice if I could present them in a way where they wont get dirty or torn off, you know, some way to display them in all their delicate beauty.

I've never used resin before so I've been tinkering. My first attempt was pretty ordinary because I wouldn't wait until I had a few tools I needed (like cups to stir the stuff in!) and the only moulds I could access where silicone muffin trays. Although they look like the bottom is flat they have just a trace of texturing which makes the bottom of the resin kind of frosted. Not the best for looking at a piece of lace :(




So I was more careful next time. I put a layer of resin in the bottom of the moulds and when it was tacky I placed the motifs on it and poured another layer of resin on top.
Then I waited.
After a day and a half I was pretty sure they were dry so I popped them out and gave them another day to dry out a little more. They looked pretty good although I was annoyed that one of them had managed to entrap a gnat so now I have a wonderful lace motif accentuated by a small winged speck!
I sanded them underwater with wet & dry sandpaper (grad 600 & 1200), dried them and dug out my jewellery making supplies and managed to find some bails I bought ages ago for glass bead pendants. Bored a hole in 5 of them and hey presto! I had 5 individual and totally unique resin pendants!
  Aren't they pretty? Don't bother looking for the gnat because it isn't in this group. I'm very pleased with them and will continue experimenting. The tatted motifs of the next lot will be PVA brushed and dried before they go anywhere near the moulds. 
This is fun :)
Stay Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment